If you are considering sending your child to a military boarding school, Michigan offers a range of options to consider. These schools provide a military-style education that focuses on academic teaching, leadership skills, self-discipline, physical fitness, and becoming a law-abiding citizen.
Michigan is a state in the US in the Great Lakes region of the upper Midwest. It is home to destinations like Detroit, Ann Harbor, Grand Rapids, and many other popular places. There are also prestigious higher institutions like the University of Michigan, Madonna University, Michigan State University, and many others that offer world-class education.
Also, just like every other state in the US, Michigan has military academies that provide military-style education to children in high school and youths in college. These academies are designed to equip students with outstanding academic teaching, leadership qualities, self-discipline, self-respect, and physical fitness, and to become law-abiding citizens of the nation.
Military high schools operate like a typical high school but offer other extra things that a typical high school does not offer. Such as the training and drills, equipping students with job-ready skills, and preparing them for college to pursue any career path they are interested in.
After graduating from a military high school students can go on to pursue any career of their choice, apply for college, or enlist for military service. The skills students get from military academies can go on to serve them in any place they may find themselves in the future.
There are military high schools, military colleges, universities, and then just normal institutions (both high schools and colleges) that offer ROTC programs. The ROTC program gives college students the benefit of studying on scholarship, pursuing an academic degree program, and becoming military officers upon graduation.
The ROTC program offered in high schools isn’t a pathway for graduates to join the military. But if you are interested in getting a degree and becoming an officer then you should consider applying for colleges offering the ROTC program and also apply to join the program.
Whether you are a high school or college-ready student who wants to attend a military academy, there are certain requirements that applicants must meet to get accepted. These requirements have been listed below.
Admission Requirements Into Military Boarding Schools in Michigan
Applicants who are interested in applying for any of the military academies in Michigan should ensure to meet the following requirements to be considered for admission.
- Applicants must be within the required age range that the military academy or program accepts.
- Must be a resident of Michigan and a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident
- Applicant should be free of felony charges and no pending court proceedings
- Physical and mental capability to participate in the program
- Should be free from the use of illegal drugs or other substances
- Complete and then submit all supporting documents such as application form, transcripts from other schools attended, recommendation and reference letters, etc. as required by your preferred school.
- Pay the application fee, if required.
What Is The Age Requirement For Military School In Michigan?
The military boarding schools in Michigan accept students from grades K 12 but only students in grades 8 or 9 through 12 – depending on the school – get to be boarders while the others have to be day students.
For the military programs provided in college, like the ROTC, the applicant must be at least 17 years old to apply.
Best military boarding schools in Michigan
1. Great Lakes Maritime Academy is a maritime college located in Traverse City, Michigan. It is affiliated with Northwestern Michigan College and offers bachelor’s degrees in marine technology and maritime studies. The academy also offers a variety of maritime-related courses and training programs, including the United States Coast Guard’s licensing program for deck officers and engineering officers.
2. Benton Harbor High School JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps) is a program offered at Benton Harbor High School in Benton Harbor, Michigan. The program is designed to develop leadership skills and promote patriotism among high school students. Students in the program participate in a variety of activities, including drills and ceremonies, physical fitness, and community service.
3. Central Michigan University AROTC (Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps) is a program offered at Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. The program is designed to prepare college students for leadership roles in the United States Army. Students in the program participate in a variety of activities, including leadership training, physical fitness, and military science courses.
4. Michigan Youth Challenge Academy is a military-style program for at-risk youth in Michigan. The program is designed to help young people develop life skills, personal responsibility, and self-discipline through a combination of academic and physical training. The program is operated by the Michigan National Guard and is open to young people between the ages of 16 and 18.
5. Valor Military Academy is a private, military-style boarding school located in Grand Ledge, Michigan. The school is designed to provide a structured and disciplined environment for high school students and focuses on preparing students for college and careers in the military. The school offers a variety of academic and extracurricular programs, including JROTC and a variety of sports and activities.