The millennium scholarship is a dollar-for-dollar state tax credit. It is available to residents of specified states in the US who attend a public institution of higher learning in the state and was created to offset the increase in tuition rates at state institutions between 2000 and 2010.
The millennium scholarship program specifies the information to be provided by students each year from 2018 to 2022.
The New Millennium Scholarship is a state need-based grant program that provides undergraduate scholarships to eligible students. Eligible students must be residents of specified states, demonstrate financial need, and meet the required GPA on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to participate in this aid program.
In other words,
What is the millennium scholarship?
The Nevada Millenium Scholarship also called the Governor Guinn Millenium Scholarship is a scholarship program that provides 1000% free or reduced tuition cost for eligible Nevada students.
Millennium scholarship requirements
1. Graduate with a diploma from a Nevada public or private high school; (However, students who are homeschooled may also be eligible, and should contact the State Treasurer’s Office for more information.)
2. Pass all areas of the Nevada High School Proficiency Examination (required for all classes prior to the class of 2017);
3. Have been a resident of Nevada for at least two years of high school; and
4. Complete the minimum core curriculum requirements which include 4 units of English, 4 units of Math including Algebra II or higher, 3 units of Science, and 3 units of Social Studies.
High schools are still required to submit a list of the eligible students to the State Treasurer’s Office. Students who believe they have been excluded from the list of eligible students but meet the requirements above should contact their high school.
Students must still meet all of the following requirements:
The following test requirements for the millennium scholarship are for candidates who could not meet up with the minimum required grade point according to the Assembly Bill 150 passed by the 2015 Nevada Legislature extended eligibility for the Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship to students but who do receive a qualified score on a college entrance examination approved by the Nevada Board of Regents as described below;
For the Class of 2016 and beyond, the Nevada Board of Regents established the minimum score on a college entrance examination as follows:
SAT: Students who take the SAT test before March 2016:
Must obtain a combined reading and math SAT score of 990 or higher Students who take the SAT test on or after March 2016:
Must obtain a combined reading, writing and math SAT score of 1070 or higher ACT: The ACT composite score is the average of the student’s scores on the four subject tests, as computed by ACT.
Students must obtain a composite score of 21 or higher on the ACT Exam.
Please note that AB 150 only applies to those students who graduate in the Class of 2016 and beyond who meet all of the eligibility requirements except completing high school with at least a 3.25 grade point average calculated using all high school credit-granting courses.
Accreditated Institutions for Millennium Scholarships
- College of Southern Nevada financial aid www.csn.edu
- Nevada State College financial aid www.nsc.edu
- Sierra Nevada College financial aid www.sierranevada.edu
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas financial aid www.unlv.edu
- Western Nevada College financial aid www.wnc.edu
Millennium Scholarship Eligibility Guidelines
- To receive the benefits of the Millennium Scholarship Program, you must enroll in an eligible institution of higher education in Nevada.
- Students in graduating classes of 2017 and above are eligible to apply for the millennium scholarship program.
- It is important to remember receiving a Millennium Scholarship does not guarantee your admission to any institution.
After your admission to an eligible institution, you must meet the following requirements to receive and maintain the benefits of the scholarship:
- Enroll each semester in a minimum of 9 credits at a NSHE community college or 12 credits at any other eligible institutions.
- You must enroll in a program of study leading to a recognized associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or pre-baccalaureate certificate.
- You must maintain a 2.60 semester GPA for each semester until you complete a total of 30 credits. Starting in the semester in which you earn 30 or more credits, you must maintain a 2.75 GPA each semester you receive Millennium funds.
If you fail to meet the minimum requirements in any semester in which you receive funding, you will receive a strike and your scholarship will be suspended. Eligibility for the Millennium Scholarship can be regained only once by meeting all of the requirements listed above in a subsequent semester. Loss of eligibility a second time will permanently remove you from the program.
Millennium scholarship FAQs
Before we come to the end of this post, we would like to utilize this profound opportunity in answering a number of questions regarding the Millenium Scholarship program.
Do I need to apply for Millennium Scholarship?
Yes, if only you need financial help for your academics and you have all the requirements and confirmed eligible to apply. Otherwise, you don’t necessarily need to apply for the Millenium Scholarship program.
Is the Nevada Millennium Scholarship still available?
Yes, it is still available, interested candidates should check the official website of the Nevada Millenium Scholarship program to see the clearly stated conditions and the deadline for application.
What are 3 requirements for the Millennium Scholarship?
The requirements for the Millenium scholarship program are way more than just 3. The list of requirements for the Millenium Scholarship program can be seen at the beginning of this post.
What GPA do you need for Millennium Scholarship?
You would need a minimum of 2.75 GPA for the Millenium Scholarship application.
How do I apply for the Millennium Scholarship at CSN?
At CSN, you will be directed to visit the nevadatreasurer.gov for steps on how to apply for Millenium Scholarship program.
Is college free in Nevada?
Tuition-free schools in Nevada are a way of encouraging low-income residents to chase their dreams. Most of these programs come as scholarships.
How long does the Millennium Scholarship last
Students have 6 years to enjoy the benefits of the Millenium Scholarship program. Your Millenium Scholarship expiration date can be seen on your Millenium Scholarship status page when you’re logged in.
How much do you get from the Millennium Scholarship?
The maximum amount is $10,000 paid per credit hour for up to 15 credits per semester.
How do you keep the Millennium Scholarship?
To keep your millennium scholarship, you are expected to maintain a minimum of 2.60 GPA every semester for a total of 30 credits. Afterwhich you are expected to maintain at least a 2.75 GPA every semester you receive Millenium funding.
Millennium Scholarship deadline 2022
The 2022 Millenium Scholarship application deadline is not yet announced, once there’s an official publication on their website, we will update this section.
However, if your questions are not among the ones we have provided answers to, do not hesitate to ask us through the comment section below.