It is common to see people in the US ask about the Gates Millennium Scholarship application deadline, Gates Millennium Scholarship requirements, and who won the most recent Gates millennium scholars program. This could be in the aim of knowing how easy or hard the scholarship application is and whether or not it is too late to apply for the Gates Millennium Scholarship.
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households. Each year, the scholarship is awarded to 300 of these student leaders, with the intent of helping them realize their maximum potential.
Gates Millennium Scholarship award
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance* that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
*Cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, and transportation, and may include other personal costs.
Gates Millennium Scholarship eligibility
To apply, students must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Additionally, a student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US-accredited, not-for-profit, private, or public college or university.
*For American Indian/Alaska Native, proof of tribal enrollment will be required.
The best candidate for Gates Millennium Scholarship
An ideal candidate will have:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
The Bill Gates Millennium Scholarship Deadline
The Gates Millenium Scholarship application form commences on the 15th day of July and closes by mid-September the same year. Gates Millenium scholarship award follows the next year any time between July and September.
How to apply for Gates Millenium Scholarship
The application steps for Gates Millenium Scholarship can be seen on the official Gates Scholars website.