Africa No Filter (ANF) is now accepting applications from young and emerging African storytellers for its 2022 Storify Africa Fellowship. the deadline for the submission of applications for the ANF Storify Africa Fellowship is February 11, 2022.
Africa No Filter (ANF) is seeking four female journalists from across the continent to be a part of the inaugural cohort of fellows.
Storify Africa is a narrative change and storytelling initiative housed within ANF. They partner with organizations that want to communicate and amplify the issues they care about on the continent through stories that center the voices and perspectives of those they serve.
ANF Storify Africa Fellowship Program Details
The Storify Africa Fellowship trains support and builds the capacity of young and emerging African storytellers to tell those stories. In doing so, Fellows help organizations shift entrenched stereotypes, and highlight their impact in a way that avoids reinforcing damaging narratives about Africa.
Each cohort of Fellows is assigned to a specific organization and topic area and will receive training in best practice feature writing techniques and tools to dig deep into the relevant issues. As Fellows, you will have full editorial independence in producing multimedia stories, including written, video, and photographic entries. You will also receive regular editorial support and guidance in developing, editing, and fact-checking stories.
Stories produced by the Fellows will be published and disseminated through ANF’s story agency, bird, and their media network, with full bylines. As Fellows, you will also join a large and growing network of narrative-shifting journalists and artists across the continent.
ANF Storify Africa Fellowship Eligibility
- Open to female journalists based in East Africa, West Africa (including one Francophone country), and Southern Africa.
- Stories are expected to be written and produced in English. Final drafts will be also translated into French.
Fellows should bring the following skills and experience:
- At least five years of experience in journalism, writing, or editing content. Experience writing feature stories is a plus, as is photography and basic video production.
- Proficiency in English – both writing and speaking.
- Access to a reliable computer, internet, smartphone (or camera or recorder).
- Creative thinker, curious, interested in, and thoughtful about shifting the negative perceptions of Africa by Africans.
- Able to commit to at least three months, for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
Benefits of ANF Storify Africa Fellowship
- Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD $500 for the duration of the Fellowship.
How to Apply for ANF Storify Africa Fellowship
- Submit a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in this fellowship, the experience you bring, and what you hope to get out of it
- 2-3 writing samples. You may also include any photography or video production projects
Submit applications by 11 February 2022 to email@example.com.